Sunday, June 6, 2010

Remembering my childhood

As we settle into our temporary home here at the hotel, my children's actions remind me of my childhood days with Cadet-ettes and all the traveling we did. There was usually 4 of us girls in a hotel room, no adults- they had their own room and only came around to check on us. I remember we used to jump on the bed usually first thing as we entered a new hotel room, we played hide and seek ( how many places are there to hide in a room, really?), we had to explore all the nooks and crannies in the hotel, swiping soap, pens, and pillow candies from the maids cart in the hall as we passed. I am finding out because my kids are doing these same things. I've let them order whatever they want to eat, help themselves at the breakfast buffet, I see them checking out the housekeeping cart as we go by. They have a room to themselves basically although attached to ours and they are living it up, jumping between the beds, playing hide and seek. It is so funny.
I am thankful for my time as a child of traveling and having the independence and responsibilities I had because it is helping me let my children have these freedoms. I seriously don't know how the adults in charge handled it... having anywhere from 70-100 girls doing these things- I guess having a room away from us helped. I am sure they had to be enjoying a few cocktails after bed check! I know I am with my own kids and their friends that are staying and there are plenty of times I could use a cocktail. :)

1 comment: